Welcome to your online tandem!
This platform is dedicated to university teachers from UCA (Cádiz, Spain), UMons (Mons, Belgium), UCL (Louvain-la-neuve, Belgium), ULB (Brussels, Belgium), and Karolinska Institutet (Stockholm, Sweden) who wish to develop their English language skills, their teaching skills and their intercultural awareness. Join us to discuss issues about teaching through English and develop your language skills, while exchanging your reflections within a community of practice. Because learning is a social construct. Because it takes two to tango!
This online tandem will provide you with a variety of opportunities to improve your oral communication skills alongside the teaching skills needed for the international classroom. Hopefully, you will achieve a number of objectives, such as:
- Reflect thoughtfully about your teaching practice and your language learning
- Reflect on the international classroom and on harnessing its cultural diversity
- Receive and respond to individualized feedback on your own reflections from both the instructor and your peers
- Discuss issues to do with teaching in English with someone else in the same boat.
- Dedicate time outside of teaching for academic speaking practice, and, thereby help improve fluency
- Be aware of your strengths and weaknesses as a speaker/listener and be able to identify resources to help you to improve
- Feel confident about teaching in English
- Feel comfortable speaking about a variety of academic topics and communicating with an academic audience
The online tandem is divided into 6 modules, spreading from December 2016 to May 2017.
Each tandem will have one month to do one module.
Timeline of the tandem project 2016-2017
||Module 1 - Presentations & the roles of the teacher
||Module 2 - English as a lingua franca (ELF)
||Module 3 - Competences of the CLIL teacher
||Module 4 - Cultures of learning
||Module 5 - Managing group work
||Module 6 - Assessing in English
In each module, you will have to do the following:
- Reading texts and/or watching videos. They can be found in the section "Tasks".
- Discuss with your tandem partner online using Adobe connect. Your discussion needs to take at least 30 minutes. The link to your designated room will be sent to you by email.
- Write a brief summary (half a page maximum) of your partner's reflections in a word document. Submit the document as an assignment in the "Tasks" section and copy/paste your text in the "Discussions" section for the whole community to see.
- You will then have to comment in the same "Discussions" section on 3 other summaries (not your partner's, of course). Please make sure you try to interact with different participants for every module.
The tandem is meant as an informal means of communicating with a like-minded colleague about questions, comments, and ideas related to English-Medium Instruction (EMI) and Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) in higher education.
It is also a way to reflect upon your language learning and course content, as well as practise English outside the classroom. You are welcome to discuss ideas you might have about a particular issue related to your field.
Some ideas for responding to the assigned tasks might include:
- Discussing your opinion about an article, or video
- Relating the topic to a personal experience or additional knowledge you have
- Compare what you have learned to a similar event/issue/situation in your home institution.
Before you get started:
- Go to the "Tasks" section.
- Take the online placement test to get your general English language proficiency.
- Answer the initial self-assessment.
- Go to settings and write a bit about yourself and add a photo. This is a friendly way to for other participants to get to know you.
- Test your connection to the Adobe connect room that has been assigned to your tandem, your facilitator will provide this information by email.
If you are having problems, contact your course facilitator directly.
Have fun! Amusez-vous! Ha så kul! ¡que te diviertas!