In this course, we will improve oral communication competency through small-group discussions on science-related topics.
Focus will be placed on how to:
- listen actively,
- add to the conversation,
- clearly and correctly speak on topic, and
- think critically.
Students will be able to…
- read science news articles for gist
- create an outline of the content of news articles for discussion
- present topics for discussion based on the outlines
- react, comment, and ask questions about the discussion topics
- take proper notes on mini lectures
- offer opinions based on readings/listenings and discussions
- use body language to help express your ideas during discussions
Attendance: 15% (deduction for tardiness and limited/no participation)
Assignments: 55% (in-class group discussions/note taking/on-line submission. See Schedule page.)
Discussion tests: 30% (in class 3-person discussions on teacher topics)
Most material will come from online news websites: Science Daily (www.sciencedaily.com), Scientific American (www.scientificamerican.com) and New York Times (www.nytimes.com). There is no textbook.