Concepts and Practice
Two days intensive interactive workshop on introduction to pharmacogenomics and precision medicine
Workshop Trainer – Dr. Nourtan F. Abdeltawab
Workshop Team – Marwan Rouchdy, Mariam Abdel-Salam, Nada Kahla, Nadia Galal, Nada Ahmed, Mariam El-Nazer and Madaya Mahamat Nour
Guest Speaker – Dr. Mohamed Nagy (Children's Cancer Hospital Egypt 57357)
PGx was defined 460 years before Christ: “It’s far more important to know what person the disease has than what disease the person has.” - Hippocrates (460 BC-370 BC)
Provide an introduction to pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomics and how patient genetics modulate variability in drug response with application in research and clinical settings.
Workshop Goals – an attempt to answer the following questions
· Why does this drug work for you but not me?
· Why do I have side effects and you don’t?
· Why does someone need twice the standard dose to be effective?
· Can we apply pharmacogenetics in the real world? In Egypt?
· What is pharmacogenomics and is it different from pharmacogenetics?
· Will today’s pharmacist be working with different drug labels, in Egypt?
· Basic concepts of Genetic variation, Gene Polymorphisms, and SNP analysis
· Pharmacogenomics and drug design in the post-genomic era
· Pharmacogenetics databases and related resources – PharmGKB, ClinVar, dbSNP, CTD…etc.
· Applied Pharmacogenomics in cancer, psychiatry, and infectious diseases
So Now, What is your excpectations?