Unit Title: Foundations of ECDE
Lead Instructor: Mr. Samuel Kuria
Cell Phone: +254 710 673 108
E-mail: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
PHILOSOPHICAL, SOCIOLOGICAL AND HISTORICAL FOUNDATIONS OF EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT AND EDUCATION (ECDE)
Introduction to the module
This unit outlines the philosophical and sociological basis on which ECDE operates. It also highlights the historical development of ECDE in Kenya. In addition the unit touches on selected countries for purposes of comparison.
Objectives of this module
By the end of this module you will be able to:
- Define the terms ECDE, philosophy and sociology
- Explain the concepts of philosophy and sociology in relation to early childhood development and education.
- Compare the concepts of the child in an African and international context.
- Discuss child rearing and socialization patterns in traditional education.
- Trace the historical development of ECDE in Kenya during the pre and post-independent era.
- Evaluate the contributions of various philosophers and educators in the current ECDE programmes.
- Compare provision of ECDE in: policy, goals, objectives and organizational structure in Kenya with Uganda, Mauritius, and Ghana.
- Discuss emerging trends and issues affecting ECDE in Kenya.
PASS MARK IS 80%