Textbook: Exploring Creation with Biology, 2nd Ed., by Dr. Jay L. Wile and Marilyn Durnell
ISBN # 978-1-932012-54-5
The purpose of this class is to provide a high school level survey course in Biology; and specifically, to give the students a full course of lab experiments and activities to supplement their homeschool studies. This course includes studies in cell and molecular biology, genetics, origins, and a survey of the five kingdoms of living organisms.
- writing instrument (preferably pencils)
- 3-ring binder (about 2”), pockets a plus
- All other materials, such as labs, summaries, or tests will be copied for the student by me and 3-hole punched so that they can keep it in their binder.
- Lab materials are paid for by your semester lab fees and will be provided as the student needs them.
- Colored Pencils
- Please encourage your student to be in class on time. We have many Power Point summaries and labs that take a full class period, so I would not want them to miss out on a single minute of it! Also, late arrivals distract and take away from the overall class - so please do not come to class if you are more than 10 minutes late.
- There are 16 modules in this book, so modules 9, 10, and 15 will be one week modules to fit the course within the 28-week time frame. In the event of bad weather, I will email necessary materials for your child to complete at home.
- All reading assignments are to be done at home. The chapters are fairly long, so an average of 6-8 pages per day for 5 days should be sufficient. I will be including a Lesson Summary each time so that the student can review important terms and concepts.
- Students have 1 homework assignment per Module. This is the take form of a study guide designed to help the student review what he/she has learned that week. This will be due the following week at the beginning of class time and should also be uploaded (take a picture with your phone or scan and upload)
- There will be a test every other week on the lesson completed. Have your child go over their lesson summary before taking the test. All class materials should be put away before taking the test.
- The student will have a lab to do every week. These are completed IN CLASS and should be immediately uploaded for a grade. Students who are not finishing these in class wil need to finish them up at home.
- In the event of illness or absence, the student will not be required to make up a lab; however, they are required to make up study guides and tests.