Welcome to the course HOSPITALITY !
The Course Objective
This course will introduce students to the specialty area of hospitality business. Students will learn about basic industry challenges and current trends in hospitality, tourism, recreation, restaurants, hotels and special events. Students will gain an understanding of the foundation skills and knowledge needed for a successful career in the world’s largest industry. The course introduces students to the history and main characteristics of the hospitality industry, such as main sectors and services, customer satisfaction and meeting their expectations, communication aspects in a cultural diversity of this industry. Students will also gain an understanding of the relationship between the hospitality industry and the tourism sector, will be informed about the trends of this challenging industry as well as gain an overview of the different skills needed for a career in the hospitality industry. Opportunities to explore specific industry segments in more depth are offered through videos with hospitality professionals.
Acquired Competencies and Course Outcomes
By the end of the course students will be able:
- Explain the characteristics of hospitality industry
- Identify the relationship between the hospitality and tourism
- Explain the classification and rating system of accomodation
- Describe the main duties and skills of hospitality professionals working in accomodation, food and beverage and event sectors.
- Explain how to serve the customers and to meet the expectations of the guests in hospitality industry
- Define the key drivers to customer saticfaction
- Describe the hospitality service environment issues
- Understand the importance of culture in hospitaly field
- Gain the knowledge about the trends in hospitality future
The course includes the following 5 course modules:
- MODULE: Introducing hospitality
1.1. Lesson 1: History and origin of hospitality
1.2. Lesson 2: Definition and characteristics of hospitality industry
1.3. Lesson 3: Relationship between the hospitality industry and tourism
- MODULE: Sectors and services in the hospitality industry
2.1. Lesson 1: Accommodation sector
2.2. Lesson 2: Food and beverage sector
2.3. Lesson 3: Recreation and special events
- MODULE: Customer service and their satisfaction inhospitality industry
3.1. Lesson 1: The basics of hospitality principles: meeting guest expectations
3.2. Lesson 2: Key drivers of guest satisfaction
3.3. Lesson 3: Service environment and it’s importance to the quest experience
- MODULE: Creating the hospitality culture
4.1. Lesson 1: Creating hospitality culture: importance of leaders
4.2. Lesson 2: Communicating the company culture
4.3. Lesson 3: Understanding cultural awareness
- MODULE: Future trends in the hospitality industry
5.1. Lesson 1: Hospitality and the future
5.2. Lesson 2: Trends in accommodation sector
5.3. Lesson 3: Trends in food & beverage sector
Introduction to the course: recommended study approach and course elements
Every module has 3 lessons, where you will find reading and listening material.
Every lesson has 1-3 recommended TED videos (or similar talks with a professionals from hospitality industry) about the topic.
Every Module has 7 question quizzes to prove your knowledge.
Quick Start-up Guide
FOCUS project consortium