Welcome to the course SUSTAINABLE TOURISM DEVELOPMENT!
The Course Description
The course is intended to introduce students with the concepts of sustainable tourism development, it's patterns, principles and their practical application in tourism management. During the course students will gain an understanding about the strengths and challenges of tourism as a tool for sustainable development. Course helps to form a systematic knowledge about the impacts of the tourism industry on destinations and local communities. Environmental, sociocultural and economic impact including multiplier effect and tourism leakage will be analysed. Students will be introduced with the key actors in the sustainable tourism, their impact and interaction within each other. Students also will be able to understand how sustainable tourism works within different type of tourism sectors and types of tourism. Course will discuss the challenges and impacts of coastal tourism to the sustainable development of the area. During the course students will look into the concept and dimensions of ecotourism, main principles, types of ecotourism and the role of each stakeholder in it.
Acquired Competencies and Course Outcomes
By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Explain the concepts and principles of sustainable tourism
- Identify the strengths and challenges of tourism as a tool for sustainable development
- Understand the impact of economic, sociocultural and environmental impact of tourism
- Identify the key actors in the sustainable tourism to understand the role and possibilities of each stakeholder to contribute to the development of sustainable tourism
- Explain how tourism works within different type of tourism sectors and the application of sustainable tourism principles within different forms of tourism.
- Define the challenges of coastal tourism development and identify the necessary measures to make tourism more sustainable
- Understand different types of ecotourism, motivation of ecotourists and main principles of this sector of tourism
- Identify the main tools required for the sustainable development of tourism
The course includes the following 5 course modules:
- Module I. Sustainable Tourism Development
1.1. Lesson 1. Historical Background and the Nature of Sustainable Tourism
1.2. Lesson 2. The Environmental Dimension of Sustainable Tourism
1.3. Lesson 3. The Economic Dimension of Sustainable Tourism
1.4. Lesson 4. The Social Dimension of Sustainable Tourism
- Module II. Key Actors in Sustainable Tourism
2.1. Lesson 1. The Public Sector
2.2. Lesson 2. The Industry
2.3. Lesson 3. The Host Community
2.4. Lesson 4. The Tourist
- Module III. Sustainability in Different Sectors of Tourism Industry
3.1. Lesson 1. Tourist Destinations
3.2. Lesson 2. Visitor Attractions
3.3. Lesson 3. Tour Operators
3.4. Lesson 4. Transport
3.5. Lesson 5. Hospitality
- Module IV. Sustainable Tourism in Coastal Areas and the Sea
4.1. Lesson 1. The Concept and Features of Coastal Tourism
4.2. Lesson 2. Coastal Tourism Planning and Management
- Module V. Ecotourism as a Tool for Sustainable Development
5.1. Lesson 1. The Concept of Ecotourism
5.2. Lesson 2. Main Stakeholders in Ecotourism
Introduction to the course: recommended study approach and course elements
Every module has 2-5 lessons, where you will find reading, watching and listening material.
Every lesson has 1 theoretical presentation and 1-4 recommended activities.
Every module has 7-9 question quizzes to prove your knowledge.