Conversion and regeneration are inseparable; conversion is the act of turning from sin to Christ; regeneration is being made a new creature by the Spirit’s power. Regeneration or the new birth is the instrument that brings us into the family of God; into the kingdom of the Son of God. The only way to become a Christian is by being born again; born by the power of the Holy Spirit. The new birth is the door to salvation and consequently to heaven.
I. DEFINITION: What is regeneration?
- It means a rebirth or a re-creation - a new birth, a second birth, a new creation.
- Regeneration is the creation by the Holy Spirit of a new life in a man called the “new creation,” or the “new man.”
- Like the first birth it is an event and not a process, though from the first conviction of sin to regeneration may cover many days, weeks, months or even years.
- Yet, the actual birth takes place in a second, as one passes from darkness to light.
- The person has a second birthday and begins a new life.